Monday, June 12, 2017

Bear Lake work weekend

The very first Bear Lake week is a work week.  This year we chopped wood, dug a trench to add a sprinkler line, restacked the firewood pile, cleaned the weeds off the beach (then it stormed and they were all over again), and replaced damaged walls from a leak in the water heater. We did take some time to play, take care of the kids and relax.



These two did everything together, it was really cute.  My cousin's daughter Kat came to play for a little too.  Evelyn kept calling her Kitty.

Getting ready for hot dogs.


Playing peek-a-boo with mom

Sethie just loved the water.  He was so excited just to be at Bear Lake.  He and I went on a boat together and he played in the sand pretty much the whole time.

My parents brought this fun little pavilion for the kids.  Evelyn was in heaven.  She took a water gun and sat inside it waiting for someone to enter.  Janelle opened the door and Evelyn exclaimed, "Nellie!  I could have shot you!"

Sisters



There was a storm both nights we were up there.  The first night, we slept through it pretty well.  The second night was worse.  The water came all the way up the beach and carried anything not secured off.  Sharon invited us to sleep in the cabin with her... we did, but Seth woke up and screamed for hours because he was so exhausted and just wanted his own bed.  I ended up sitting in the car with him for most of the night so that he wouldn't keep everyone up the entire night.

Too bad it's fuzzy, but this was a very common scene too.

If you look on the left, you can see the edge of the fence.  I remember coming to the lake when I was little and it was high like this.  All the older generation said that the last time it was as high as this was about '83.  I remember sitting and watching my Uncles Reid and Lee jumping off the fence and into the water.  I also remember my Grandma Elaine taking us out in a storm like this one with those big black tubes and riding on the waves with us.  It was so fun!  Cold, but fun. My Mom says that she used to do that as a kid too.



This little girl was covered in sand.  Her hair was in dreadlocks.  She and the boys were throwing sand around.  She told me afterwards that was pretending to be TeKa from Moana.... she was throwing lava balls at the boys.
 
My brother Seth helped me drive home safely after such a sleepless night.  He read Harry Potter to me and the kids. 

No comments: