Sunday, June 26, 2016

11th anniversary

I can't believe that Jer and I have been married for 11 years this week.  It feels like such a short time, but it's almost as long as we were in public school.  That's a good chunk of time.  Ada said that we'd been married longer than that.  She insisted that we'd been married 8+7+5+1 years, because that's how old the kids were.  Since we've never "gone away" for our anniversary (we've done day activities and our parents have taken the kids)... and our 5th and 10th anniversaries both didn't go splendidly because the kids had the flu, I was 8 months pregnant, and several other things.... we decided to go on an overnight thing.  Jer got a little mini cabin at Bryce Canyon.  We drove down, checked in, went for dinner and grabbed our borrowed telescope to do some star gazing.  It was so cool.  We could see Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, and Pluto (if we got the right one on that).  You could even see the rings on Saturn.  Saturday, we had planned on doing several short mile hikes to see the different look outs... we ended up doing one big one.  It was so cool.  It wasn't too hot until the very end either.  We kept getting nice breezes and shady patches along the way.  Now, I'm definitely out of shape.  As of two years ago, I was out of commission for an entire 9 months... the doctor said that my recovery from pneumonia would be really difficult because of my pregnancy.  He said that the normal 6 month recovery time would be more like 12-18 months recovery.  And it was.  I could do my regular day to day stuff, but any extras would completely knock me flat for hours after.  It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I didn't need a break in the middle of the day.  I started exercising again besides stretches and yoga... I worked up to walking 3 miles a day with two unwilling children in tow plus taking kids swimming, biking, etc.... So while most people wouldn't be phased by a 4.5-5 mile hike... I did really well until the last half mile.  Then I really struggled up that last hill.  Jer is such a sweet and patient man!  He just ran a marathon and here he is just chatting away and having a great time with me instead of being impatient or angry that I slow him down or kept him from doing the bigger 8 mile hike.  When I got a Charlie horse in my knee on the last hill, he patiently helped me work it out and helped me get up the last .5 mile of switchbacks.  We had planned on a 6.5 mile hike, but we cut it by a mile and a half.  I was glad we did, because it was right after we started up the other trail that I got a big ole Charlie horse. It was such a fun time though.  I was glad to be able to see so many neat things.  And while I like sharing these experiences with the kids, I really don't like to drag them along while I'm just getting back into shape myself.  And I am kind of proud of myself too.  I thought the hike would be downhill, then flat around the bottom of the Hoodoos, then back up to the saddle.  It was more of a downhill, flat, up to the altitude of the saddle, up and down several big hills several more times, down, flat and then a steep uphill at the end.  I was surprised at how well I was able to do the ups and downs for a while.



































1 comment:

Diane said...

Happy Anniversary!!