Sunday, December 6, 2015

Date Night

For our date night last Friday, instead of going out to eat or do a temple session we volunteered in the temple laundry.  It was fun. First, they put me on going through temple dresses that had been washed.  I was supposed to check them for stains, rips, turn pockets the right way and zip up zippers.  I was struck by how even the little tiny details were important.  Then they had me putting together packets.  The lady training me was very deliberate with each movement.  Each item was carefully lined up and carefully and beautifully stacked before putting it in the basket.  It struck me that even though most people wouldn't notice if something was slightly off kilter inside the packet, the workers were careful to treat it as if it were the end goal.  Even the socks that they had Jer and I folding together at the end.  They had us match them as carefully as possible, fold them as neatly as possible and line them in the baskets in a very orderly fashion.  The workers did this as a daily thing, but everyone seemed happy and smiling to be carefully lining things up and washing things out. I've been having a hard time staying awake in the temple lately.  With having 4 littles and changing medications, I drop asleep as soon as the lights dim.  This was a good way of serving so that I could feel good about being there instead of guilty.  It forced me to stop rushing around and pay attention to details.  I think I'd like to do it again.  Give me a call if anyone wants to go with me!

No comments: