Monday, November 16, 2015

Sick kiddos

Yesterday Evelyn gave a talk in Primary.  Seth woke up with throw up all over his bed and him, so Jer stayed home from sacrament meeting with him.  I helped Evelyn give her cute talk on how we serve God by obeying mom and drinking cocoa with our brothers and sisters.  Before her talk she kept saying, "Mom, my tummy hurts."  So she gave her talk and I took her home so that we could be with baby while Jer came to Young Mens.  She had a rough day. 

Today, Seth woke up in throw up again and then in poop after his nap.  At least I know he's been bathed today... all three of the older kids said their tummies hurt so they all stayed home from school.  Ada and Evelyn slept a lot.  Sam followed me around the house asking when I could play games with him.  (I was trying to do all the extra laundry and dishes that sickies have made).  I finally played Pay Day with him and he was happy from then on.  Evelyn surprised me.  The kids wanted me to read them Harry Potter (2), so we cuddled up on the couch and read.  Afterwards, the kids grabbed their own books and started reading.  Evelyn grabbed one of the beginning reader books, sat up on my lap and started reading it to me.  I thought she'd take forever to teach to read because of the way she potty trained, and the way she refuses to let me teach her letters and sounds.  Apparently she's good at seeing a word that has been read to her and knows what it is.  We're still going to have to teach her how to sound out letters and words, but she gave me a shock.  It was really cute.  The kids were bummed that it snowed and I made them stay inside though.

We finally have our new fence up.  I'm so glad to be done with that.  Jer's not quite done, but soon.  His next step is to repair the sprinkler lines that were broken when they were digging.  He can't really do that until Spring anyways so he'll get a reprieve. I've started helping at the school 2 times a week in both of the kids classes.  I was helping readers in Sam's class and noticed that one of the boys was falling behind (I met his parents.  They only speak Spanish at home, nothing wrong with that but it's probably why he's struggling with reading in English.) and another girl that I think is dyslexic.  She reads the middle or last syllable first unless she looks at the word then covers her eyes to say it then moves on to the next word the same way.  I offered to come in and work extra time with these two.  Ada's teacher heard that I was helping readers in the other class and asked if I could help with a couple in hers... so off I go.  Evelyn helps keep baby busy by throwing a ball up and down the hallway.  It's cute to hear them giggle and run back and forth after it.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Awww - its nice to hear you helping kids at school!

Diane said...

Sorry your kids have been sick.