Sunday, September 20, 2015

Antelope Island #2

On the island is the oldest ranch in Utah.  It was built in 1849 and they were still using it as of the 1970s.  They might still be today, I'm not sure.  There were posts about sheep shearing and renting horses to ride around the island and visit their sheep in the mountain meadow areas.  It had a 3 bedroom main house, a root cellar building and a bunker house for ranch hands.  It also had a very large barn set up for shearing sheep, a blacksmith foundry, a wood workers/museum area, and some old tractors and tools.
 


These are my white and black sheep baaing away in their pen.






All the kids loved trying to rope the cattle/sheep... but especially Sam.  He was pretty good at it too.






I called this the Chitty Chitty bang bang tractor.  It has a lever on the front that you have to turn to get it to turn on.  It also had all metal wheels.

The kids said that this was Mater.  Maybe it was Mater's grandpa.


I loved this odd collection of laundry tools.  Soaking tubs, washers and wringers.  There were two sewing machines with the foot pedals, and I'm guessing that they let the wall get exposed here on purpose to show what it looked like.

Most of everything in the ranch house was "updated".  Even though you could see pioneer beginnings, a lot of the kitchen was 1950's style.  The beds and chairs on display looked much older though.  They looked like ones that I've seen on display at the Lion House or Cove Fort.
 
I loved these little chairs by the fire.


Right behind the root cellar there is a spot that they let grow wild for bird preservation.  We only saw a few because they've probably started migrating already, but the kids loved exploring the trees and paths.  It reminded me about my 3-5 years... I lived in my Great-Grandma's house that had a root cellar off to the side and a "forest" area next door.  Janelle and I used to spend hours playing in the trees, eating mint leaves and leaving our feet in the irrigation. I loved it.

View from the ranch up to the mountains.

No comments: